If you get time, check out the web site www.ooph.com. It has lots of great information for parents of tween, teens, and college age students on driving, health and body image, education and the birds and the bees. And let’s face it…who doesn’t need a little extra help talking about the birds and the bees?
Last night I got caught up in the article titled, 15 Things a Mom Should Teach Her Boys.
The author thought these were 15 things that every son should know before they leave home. I have added my own personal thoughts on each.
1. The kitchen? Not just for girls. Learn to use a stove.
So true! This is why I encouraged you both to cook with me in the kitchen. Well…that and the fact that I needed help preparing food for five hungry mouths.
2. If a girl tries to change you she doesn’t really love you no matter how much you want her to.
You can NEVER change a person. Only that person can decided to make a change in his or her life. Period.
3. Shower daily, keep your nails trim and use deodorant.
Let’s also add keep a good tidy haircut and have good oral hygiene to this list.
4. A dutch oven is never funny. EVER.
Let’s just say flatulence is something that should only be done in the restroom…alone…with the door closed. No one appreciates disgustingness!
5. It is NEVER acceptable to break up with a girl over the phone.
Or text message or e-mail.
6. Understand how to use basic tools.
Basic tool knowledge is a must. Also be able to change a flat tire and drive a stick shift. You never know when this knowledge will come in handy.
7. When you ask a girl, “Is something wrong?” and she says, “No.” She’s lying.
Start with, “Why don’t you tell me what is bothering you.” If she says nothing then respond with, “Well then remember I am here for you when you are ready to talk about it.” Then move on with the conversation. She will talk when she is ready.
8. The job of a stay-at-home mom is equally as hard as yours.
Never compete when it comes to your jobs. Whatever you do; do it well and never compare.
9. Table manners. Use them.
Someday you will appreciate all the slaps to the back of your head we gave you for chewing with your mouth open.
10. You will never know a stronger pull than that of your friends trying to get you to participate in their wrong doing. Resisting makes you a man. Succumbing makes you a coward.
Remember you left this house with a good name. Return with it.
11. NEVER use your fists to solve ANY dispute. One wrong punch could take a life and it could be yours.
But don’t let someone walk all over you either. Stand up for yourself without using violence.
12. Condoms will save your life.
It shows you respect yourself and your partner. Always be prepared. Use them.
13. Never use the word gay in a derogatory manner. It’s ignorant.
It is never our place to judge someone for their lifestyle choice or beliefs.
14. Sexting is a federal offense.
Don’t do it!
15. Real girls do not look like Victoria’s Secret models.
It is not about how they look; because looks change. Real girls respect themselves, have hopes, goals, and dreams, won’t try and change you, are independent, and like you for all the same reasons.
What would you add to this list?